United Way’s free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides Greater Atlanta’s working individuals and families tax help to simplify the tax filing process and claim important tax credits.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a national initiative of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that offers FREE tax prep to low-to-moderate income ($57,000 and under) individuals and families. Taxes are prepared by IRS trained and certified volunteers.
What Do I Need?
- When preparing for free tax preparation, please make sure to the following items:
- A valid, official photo identification (you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- Social Security Number (SSN) card for every- one on your return
- Previous year’s tax returns All W-2s for current tax year
- Joint returns require both filers to be present to sign the return
- Voided check or account number card to direct deposit your refund (This is optional but allows you to get your refund fast.)
- Form 1095-A if you purchased health insurance through the marketplace or have a HSA
- Form 1098-Mortgage Interest, property taxes, closing statement
- If you had child care or dependent care expenses, please bring the name, address and tax ID or SSN/ITIN of the care provider
You May Be Eligible For A Tax Credit
Even if you don’t file taxes, did you know that you may qualify to get money from the government? Get money back, don’t leave money on the table!
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC or EITC) is a tax credit for low and moderate-income wage earners. For the 2021 tax year, the earned income credit ranges from $543 to $6,728 depending on tax-filing status and number of children.
In 2020, 22 million workers received about $57 billion in EITC refunds. One-third of the EITC population changes each year. The IRS estimates only four out of five workers claim the EITC they earned. This leaves billions of dollars on the table each year. It’s money that workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills.
EITC is complex. It varies by income, family size and your filing status. To be eligible, you must have earned income or certain disability income. This means you must have income from working for someone or working for yourself.
Find out if you are eligible using the EITC Assistant; it’s available in both English and Spanish. The Assistant helps you:
- find your filing status,
- find out if you have a qualifying child or children,
- verify if you are eligible for EITC, and
- estimate the amount of your credit.
Where you can find VITA
VITA sites are generally operated by certified volunteers located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, churches, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. VITA ensures that eligible working families are receiving the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other federal credits for which they may be eligible.
This year, due to CDC guidelines for COVID-19, VITA is serving Greater Atlanta with free virtual tax prep opportunities as well as free limited in person tax prep, by appointment only. You can also, do it yourself with help from an IRS-Certified Volunteer.
DIY – Do It Yourself at www.MyFreeTaxes.com. Do it yourself (with help)! Prepare and file your own return with help from an IRS-certified volunteer using free and secure software.
To make an appointment with a local VITA Tax Prep Site, see the information below. IRS-certified volunteers work one-on-one with you to prepare and file your federal and state tax returns.
Center for Pan Asian Community Services (CPACS)
Opening Date: 2/13/2021
To make an appointment: call 770.936.0969
North Fulton Community Charities
Opening Date: 2/21/2021
To make an appointment: nfcchelp.org
Schaffer Road Church of Christ
Opening Date: 1/30/2021
Drop Off Only
To make an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information to come about the opening of the following VITA Sites
Beulah Baptist Church
Clayton State University
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School-Atlanta
Ebenezer Baptist Church/ MLK Community Resource Complex
Elizabeth Baptist Church
Hillcrest Church of Christ
Lovejoy Community Center
Osborne High School
Saint Philip AME Church
St. Philip Benizi AME Church
St. Vincent de Paul-Chamblee
St. Vincent de Paul-Lakewood (Sullivan Center)
Due to COVID-19 and following CDC guidelines the sites listed below are on hold for opening:
West End Mall