Host a Shoebox Project Party Today!
Fill with toiletries. Wrap. Decorate. And repeat. Each year, United Way distributes decorated shoeboxes full of toiletries to people in need across Greater Atlanta’s 13-county region. Over the last three years, we’ve distributed more than 100,000 shoeboxes because of people like you. Jump in and help make a difference, by hosting a Shoebox Party on your own.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Location, location, location! You can’t have a party without a venue. Whether your home office, or your living room, make sure you have adequate space for you and those living within your household can be comfortable and creative as possible. Refreshments and music are always a great help to keep people engaged!
- People! Propose some quality time with your family or treat it as a school project to keep the kids busy, or make it a party of one with you filling tons of boxes with the basic needs our homeless men, women and children need. Make sure to check out this link to see what can be included.
- Shoeboxes! You can’t have a shoebox party without shoeboxes, so scour your closet and storage for some (be sure to take your shoes out!) and encourage those helping to do the same.
- Donations! Once you’ve secured the boxes, be sure to collect the actual items to go inside. At a minimum, every box should include shampoo, conditioner, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. These are items that we consider essential, but often take for granted in our everyday lives. Also feel free to add an inspirational note of encouragement.
- Items Needed: lip balm, rain ponchos, hair comb / brush, socks, hand towels, sunblock, adhesive bandages, travel size lotion, tampons, sanitary napkins / liners, antibiotic ointment, prepaid phone cards, travel size soap
- Unaccepted Items: food, medicine, mouthwash, razors, sewing kits, used or opened items
- Decorations! Maximize people’s creativity with a variety of decorating options. Items like wrapping paper, ribbons, bows, stickers, tissue paper, and markers help transform boxes into beautiful gifts. You may never see the recipient’s face, but people light up when they receive boxes – especially when it’s apparent that a lot of love and care went into the creation of them. Whether you make them fun or pretty, just make sure you make them special *** Please don’t wrap boxes shut as we’ll need to open them for quality control ***
- When you’re done with your shoeboxes: For now please hold on to your boxes. As we continue to monitor the developments related to the coronavirus, we will keep you informed of when you can drop off shoeboxes at local county collection points closest to you. We will also provide updates around our trusted logistical partner, Courier Express, will be available to collect the boxes from each county and bring them to our sorting and distribution warehouse for quality control.
- Be social: Share your awesome photos us on social by tagging @UnitedWayATL and #ShoeboxATL.