Host a Shoebox Project Party Today!
Fill with toiletries. Wrap. Decorate. And repeat. Each year, United Way distributes decorated shoeboxes full of toiletries to people in need across Greater Atlanta’s 13-county region. Over the last three years, we’ve distributed more than 130,000 shoeboxes, thanks to volunteers just like you! Jump in and help make a difference by safely hosting a Shoebox Party on your own.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Location, location, location! We encourage volunteers to conduct any Shoebox Project parties virtually, unless you are hosting with those in your immediate household. Whether you are conducting your party virtually with friends or family, or in your living room, make sure your participants have adequate space to be comfortable and creative as possible. Encourage your participants to bring refreshments, and music is always a great help to keep people engaged!
- People! Propose some quality time with your family, take advantage of a fun opportunity for your kids to get some volunteer hours in, or make it a party of one with you filling tons of boxes! All donations of hygiene essentials will benefit Greater Atlanta’s homeless men, women and children in need. During your time together feel free to play virtual trivia games, listen to music or lead icebreakers that will help your group get to know one another.
- Shoeboxes! You can’t have a shoebox party without shoeboxes, so scour your closet and storage for some (be sure to take your shoes out!) and encourage those helping to do the same.
- Donations! Once you’ve secured the boxes, be sure to collect the actual items to go inside. At a minimum, every box should include body wash/soap, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. These are items that we consider essential, but often take for granted in our everyday lives. For a list of additional recommended items, please check out our donation list. Also, feel free to add an inspirational note of encouragement.
- Decorations! It’s important to maximize people’s creativity with a variety of decorating options. Items like wrapping paper, ribbons, bows, stickers, tissue paper, and markers help transform boxes into beautiful gifts. You may never see the recipient’s face, but people light up when they receive boxes – especially when it’s apparent that a lot of love and care went into the creation of them. Whether you make them fun or pretty, just be sure to make them special. *** Please don’t wrap boxes shut as we’ll need to open them for quality control ***
When you’re done with your shoeboxes, please drop them off at one of our drop-off locations between March 29th – April 2nd. Don’t forget to share your masterpiece with the world! Share your awesome photos with us on social by tagging @UnitedWayATL and #ShoeboxATL.