Updated May 18, 2021
United Way of Greater Atlanta provides free tax preparation services to the community through a partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides Greater Atlanta’s working individuals and families free tax prep to low-to-moderate income ($57,000 and under). Taxes are prepared by IRS trained and certified volunteers. We want you to keep ALL your tax refund. Why pay $250 – $500 to get your taxes prepared when you can have them prepared by an IRS certified Volunteer for FREE!
This year, filing your taxes is more important than ever. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for low and moderate-income wage earners. For the 2021 tax year, the earned income credit ranges from $543 to $6,728 depending on tax-filing status and number of children. Learn how much you can receive using the EITC Assistant.
This year, due to CDC guidelines for COVID-19, VITA is serving Greater Atlanta with free virtual tax prep opportunities as well as free limited in-person tax prep, by appointment only. You can also do it yourself with help from an IRS-Certified Volunteer.
Choose the Filing Option That Works Best for You
Get Your Refund
- Free Virtually Tax Prep by a certified IRS Volunteer at www.GetYourRefund.org/uwga
- Online, mobile-friendly application connecting tax filers with free, IRS-certified tax help.
- Anyone with a household income of $57,000 a year or less is eligible.
- IRS-certified volunteers work with you to prepare and file your State and Federal tax returns.
My Free Taxes
- Do It Yourself Virtual Free Tax Prep at www.MyFreeTaxes.com
- Do it yourself (with help if needed)! Prepare and file your own State and Federal tax return for Free.
- Tax help available if needed from an IRS-certified Volunteer if your income is $57,000 a year or less.
- Free and secure software. Learn more.
Local VITA Tax Prep Site
- By appointment only. Email VITA@unitedwayatlanta.org for more information.
View our checklist to see all documents required to file your taxes. If you are missing a document, follow the links in the checklist to obtain a copy.