United Way of Greater Atlanta provides free tax preparation services to the community through a partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and MyFreeTaxes programs provide Greater Atlanta’s working individuals and families free tax prep to low-to-moderate income ($60,000 and under). Taxes are prepared by IRS trained and certified volunteers. We want you to keep ALL your tax refund. Why pay $250 – $500 to get your taxes prepared when you can have them prepared by an IRS certified Volunteer for FREE!
Help spread the word about important tax credits
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for low and moderate-income wage earners. For the 2021 tax year, the earned income credit ranged from $543 to $6,728 depending on tax-filing status and number of children. Learn how much you can receive using the EITC Assistant.
Choose the Filing Option That Works Best for You
Do It Yourself Virtual Free Tax Prep at www.MyFreeTaxes.com:
- Do it yourself (with help if needed)! Prepare and file your own State and Federal tax return for Free.
- Tax help available if needed from an IRS-certified Volunteer. Using My Free Taxes your income can be $73,000 a year or less.
- Learn more.
Local VITA Tax Prep Sites
- LOCATION LISTING COMING SOON! Pre-register here.
- IRS-certified volunteers work one-on-one with you to prepare and file your federal and state tax returns.
- Anyone with a household income of $60,000 a year or less is eligible.
- If you are not in the Greater Atlanta area, you can go to the IRS VITA locator: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/find-a-location-for-free-tax-prep
- View our checklist to see all documents required to file your taxes. If you are missing a document, follow the links in the checklist to obtain a copy.
- Review the IRS’s Child Tax Credit FAQs
2023 VITA Locations COMING SOON!
— page updated 1.17.23 —-
Need additional information? Contact VITA@unitedwayatlanta.org.