United Way of Greater Atlanta is involved in helping people improve their financial stability by connecting them with financial coaching, financial education, job training and free tax filing.

  • United Way’s free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides Greater Atlanta’s working individuals and families help to simplify the tax filing process and claim important tax credits. VITA is a national initiative of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that offers FREE tax help to low- to moderate-income ($56,000 and under) individuals and families. Taxes are prepared in–person by IRS trained and certified volunteers.
  • VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, churches, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. To find a VITA site near you, click here or call 2-1-1.
  • If you’re over the age of 50, you can get one-on-one assistance by IRS-certified volunteers at 5,000 Tax-Aide sites run by AARP. Tax-Aide site are in neighborhood libraries, malls, banks, community centers and senior centers. There’s no fee and no sales pitch for other services. AARP membership is not required. Find a location near you.If you earn less than $69,000, you can file for free through IRS Free File, a partnership between the agency and the Free File Alliance, a group of private preparers. Click here for more details on the program. Each company has a slightly different free offering, so be sure to read the eligibility requirements to make sure you can file your state return free of charge as well. A number of companies will prepare a state return and e-file it at no cost through partnerships with participating state programs.If your income is more than $69,000, you can use the Free Fillable File Forms, an electronic versions of IRS paper forms. But that doesn’t include the software help available through Free File.
  • If you’re in the military, you can use MilTax, a service provided by the Department of Defense that uses a version of H&R Block’s tax software. It’s free to active-duty service members, those in the National Guard or Reserves, and their families. There are no income or tax form restrictions.
  • For people who have W-2 income only and a simple return, you can file federal and up to three state returns for free online with MyFreeTaxes®. MyFreeTaxes.com is a partnership between United Way and H&R Block. Simple tax situations covered for free in MyFreeTaxes include: W-2 income; limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV; student education expenses, credits or student loan interest; unemployment income; claiming the standard deduction; EITC; child tax credits; child and dependent care expenses.You can also take advantage of helpful tools such as calculators, error checkers and online chats, plus a free help line operating daily from 10 am-10 pm ET with IRS-trained staff who speak both English and Spanish.

    Unfortunately, MyFreeTaxes no longer provides a free return to filers who are self-employed. Self-employed filers will need to report all of their income and expenses on a Schedule C form, which is not included in the MyFreeTaxes software. If you are self-employed, and wish to use MyFreeTaxes to file your taxes, you will be charged $24.99 for a federal return and $18.50 for each state return (a 50% discount on H&R Block’s usual fees).