2000 – 2003
- Johnnetta B. Cole, Conchita W. Robinson and Charles Stephens join forces to convene African-American leaders to positively impact the Greater Atlanta community. That undertaking is referred to as the African-American Initiative (AAI).
- Cole gives 50 speeches in the community about the newly formed African-American Initiative in its first year of existence.
- AAI doubles the number of Tocqueville Society level members from 19 to 38. More than 200 join at the Cole Society level.
- The Coca-Cola Company sponsors the first of three “Blue Light in the Basement Party” to build grassroots community support for United Way.
- AAI holds its first signature cause event, centered around AIDS awareness.